Thursday, December 17, 2009

Opposing Teams

Supposedly men and women both want the same thing – to find someone to complete their happily ever after. I don’t buy it.

Maybe I’ve become too jaded, but lately I feel like men and women are on opposite teams when it comes to relationships. I get the impression that women are fighting as hard as they can to catch a man while men are fighting as hard as they can to not get caught. As for me, I don’t want to chase a man who doesn’t want to be caught (I apologize for this ridiculously awful analogy).

Dating has become so exhausting because, not only do I have to do the chasing, but I have to decipher the games. And, more often than not, the guy who is being chased is not at all worth the time and energy it takes to pin him down. I know I’m not the only person going through this either.

I see girls plotting and planning in order to get a guy to fall for them and commit to a relationship. But why do this? Do we really think that we will end up in a happy relationship if we somehow manage to convince the guy that he should be in a relationship with us?

My strategy from now is going to entail focusing on myself and my happiness. It’s cliché and overused advice for a reason, because it’s solid. The hopeless romantic in me believes that somewhere out there, there is a guy who actually wants to have a lasting healthy relationship and he wants to have it with me. But I’m not going to go looking for him.

1 comment: